Thank you to Kaitlynn, who blogs at The Skinny Struggles, for nominating me. I was pleasantly surprised to learn about the Liebster Award by receiving it! My understanding of the award is that it helps new bloggers (with under 200 followers) connect and promote each other. It also adds a bit of fun, motivation, and encouragement for newbies. The Liebster Award Rules
- Link back to the person who nominated you
- Answer the questions given to you by the nominator
- Nominate up to 11 other bloggers with less than 200 followers
- Create 11 questions for the nominees
- Notify all nominees via social media/blogs
My Answers to Kaitlynn’s Questions
What is your ultimate motivation to living a healthy, balanced lifestyle?
Ultimately, I want to live a long and healthy life. In order to do that, I need to continue on my fitness journey and make positive changes to my lifestyle. I’m driven by both the thought of success and the fear of getting preventable illnesses due to being unhealthy and not taking action while I can.
When I was younger, fitness was just about looking good. Now I want to feel good and know that I am doing everything I can to be a healthy and active person. It’s not always easy and it doesn’t come naturally to me, which is why I am so grateful for the support I’ve found in the blogosphere!
What is the best advice you have ever received about something that was incredibly important to you/or just about life in general?
My dad always told me to live in the moment and I try very hard to take his advice to heart every day. We often worry about things that don’t end up happening, which is such a waste of energy and needless source of stress (not to mention the physical, mental, and emotional toll it takes on our bodies).
My dad lost his battle to cancer but he gained valuable perspective that he shared with me. He reminded me that life is short and I need to take myself less seriously and just enjoy the ride. He told me that you never know how much time you have so you need to make the most of every single day.
Trying to live by my dad’s advice keeps him in my heart. He will always be my #1 superhero.
What do you hope to achieve with your blog?
When I first started my blog, I thought it would just be a creative outlet that my friends and family members might read. I only started blogging this month and I have been overwhelmed by the support, kindness, and encouragement from my fellow bloggers. I am so happy to be a part of this community.
My goals of blogging are to connect with others, give as much encouragement as I take, and stay accountable to the goals that I set for myself through putting pen to paper (or fingers to keys, as the case may be). A support network doesn’t have to be in person…online counts too!
What is one thing your readers don’t know about you?
My love for chocolate is almost on par with my love for JP. He comes out slightly ahead.
Who would you say your role model is and why?
When I first started working in corporate, I was lucky enough to have a wonderful woman take me under her wing. She become my “work mom” and even though we don’t work together anymore, we are still in contact regularly. She is inspiring, hilarious, brutally honest, and full of sage advice. Whenever I need a dose of reality, perspective, encouragement, or humble pie, I know exactly where to find it.
What is your favorite Disney movie?
Every.Single.One! When I was a child, it was without a doubt the Little Mermaid. Now I have nostalgic love for them ALL. Oh, to be a kid again.
If you had to make a new years resolution for 2016 right now, what would it be?
To make more time (and room in the good old budget) for travel adventures.
What has been your toughest obstacle you had to overcome and how did you conquer it?
After I had back surgery, I was in excruciating pain. I can remember the whole ordeal like it was yesterday and I still deal with chronic issues as a result (how’s that for a helpful daily reminder?). I got through the surgery and recovery by persevering and not giving myself the option to give up.
I deal with my chronic pain, muscle spasms, and the fact that a lot of things are harder for me than they are for the average person by telling myself that it could be a lot worse. I’ve simply got to make the best of what I do have, which is a lot! I’m a very lucky girl and I’m grateful for each day I share with my family.
What is your greatest fear?
On a serious note, death. I was raised Catholic but I’m no longer practicing (or believing). The thought of the end of my life being simply rotting in the ground sounds pretty awful. However, that’s why I am trying my best to make the most of life right now! None of us will get out of here alive.
On a silly note, birds, spiders and all things creepy crawly.
How many times do you hit the snooze button?
I don’t! JP and I run a tight ship in the morning, so there is no time for extra sleep. I long for the day when I can wake up organically and not to the sound of an alarm clock. There have, however, been times when I’ve decided to close my eyes for 30 more seconds and slept in until 9 a.m. Whoops.
What’s your favorite quote?
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Yes, I realize that is a religious-eque quote and I just finished telling you that I’m a non-believer. How’s that for leftover Catholic guilt? I’ve got heaps.
- Kat has been blogging about her fitness journey since May 2015 at The Transformation of Kat
- Tory has been blogging about healthy eating, active living, and outdoor adventures at Keep Calm & Live Well since January 2015
- Kitty blogs about her fitness journey at Kitty’s Fitness. She is also a cancer survivor
- Eimer started blogging in July 2015 (like me!) at motivationalmummy with a focus on healthy living
- Serena has been blogging about health, vitality, and food since February 2015 at Serena Glow
- Counter Culture Health is a health, fitness, and lifestyle blog that I’m loving
My Questions for My Nominees
- If you could be any animal for a day, what would you choose and why?
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
- What is the bravest thing you’ve ever done?
- Why did you start a blog?
- What is your most impressive hidden talent?
- What is your most prized possession?
- Describe yourself in 10 words.
- What is the most amazing experience you have ever had?
- When you were 5, what did you want to be when you grew up? Did you pursue it?
- What’s your go-to healthy recipe for a busy weeknight?
I encourage everyone to spread the love and send out your own Liebster nominations. Come on, make someone’s day!