I am currently doing a sugar detox, so I can’t indulge in my usual oatmeal for breakfast. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t! Overnight oats are simple to make, healthy, filling, and delicious. What more could you ask for in your breakfast companion on a busy weekday morning?
Have you ever tried to make overnight oats? What is your favourite recipe?
Banana Cream Pie Overnight Oats
There are so many varieties of overnight oats that you can make and I am always creating new recipes. I think a good starting point is banana cream pie in a jar!
- 1 cup of oats (I recommend using these awesome measuring tools)
- 2/3 cup of vanilla soy milk (you can also use almond milk or regular milk)
- 1/3 cup of vanilla yogurt (if you don’t like yogurt, add an extra 1/3 cup of milk)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 6 walnuts (I put mine in the food processor but that’s not strictly necessary)
- Spices to taste. I like nutmeg and cinnamon
Slice the banana into thin pieces. You can use the pieces as they are or you can mash them. I have even heard of some people microwaving their banana so it turns to goo, but I wasn’t a fan of that approach when I tried it.
Combine all of the ingredients into a mason jar. The ingredient quantities that I provided work well in the mason jars that I have, but you may need to adjust depending on the size of the jar that you use. Ideally, the jar is not completely full so that you have room to mix the ingredients. I like to layer the ingredients to make mixing easier, but that is also an optional step.
Stir the ingredients and/or shake the jar until everything is well mixed.
Refrigerate overnight. My husband, JP, likes to heat his overnight oats up in the microwave whereas I prefer to eat them cold. For this particular recipe, I highly recommend eating the oatmeal cold because that’s how real banana cream pie is served.
Disclosure: if you buy any of these products from me, or do any of your amazon.com shopping through my store, my sweet boxer, B, will get some treat money. He thanks you in advance for supporting his cookie addiction and I thank you for supporting my blog.