You’re busy. I get it. Western culture is very “go, go, go” and we often put our own health at the bottom of our priority list. We work late, so we don’t have time to go to the gym; we wake up too early to find the time to eat breakfast; and worse, stress even takes over our “free” time because we can’t turn our brains (or our phones) off. Well, I say it’s beyond time to stop putting your own basic wellness needs on the back burner. Part of being healthy is eating properly and that starts with breakfast!
What is your favourite thing to eat for breakfast on a busy weekday morning?
Health Tip #8: Make Time to Eat Breakfast Every Day
If you need a little breakfast motivation, check out the What’s Cooking section of my blog where you can get recipes for delicious bran muffins, overnights oats, and 2 ingredient healthy cookies (all of which are quick and easy breakfast solutions).
In case you need a little extra push, here are five reasons why you should eat breakfast:
- It will help you lose weight. I got your attention there, didn’t I? Eating regular meals throughout the day gives your body fuel when you need it. If you start with breakfast, you are waking up your metabolism and that will do great things for your body. Just ask Shaun T.
- You’ll have more energy. Your body needs fuel and without it you are going to feel tired and less alert. Avoid getting that hangry feeling (and a growling stomach in your morning meetings) by eating a hearty breakfast.
- You’re less likely to make poor food choices later in the day. If you skip breakfast, you will feel like you’re starving by mid-morning, which is a recipe for disaster. I don’t know about you, but when I don’t plan my meals properly and let myself get hungry, I want a quick fix and that may (or very likely may not) be healthy in nature.
- It’s good for your health. There is evidence that eating breakfast can decrease the risk of diabetes in women and reduce the risk of heart disease in both genders. Breakfast has also been shown to improve your cognitive function, so it will even make you smarter than you already are!
- You’re more likely to get your daily dose of essential nutrients. Your body has a lot of requirements to stay healthy, many of which come from the food you eat. If you skip one of your three meals a day, how are you going to meet your body’s needs?